Title: Unlocking data-driven innovation for improving productivity and data sharing in mushroom value chain
The aim of the MUSHNOMICS project is to demonstrate the feasibility of dynamic data-driven analytics for multi-domain mushroom production environments in order to optimize yield, lower costs and improve the economic viability of this agri-food sector.
- To develop best-performing Artificial Intelligence (AI)-driven algorithms for yield prediction of mushrooms in a prototype container farm with IoT devices for real time production management and demonstration;
- To develop an ICT platform to exchange data and information from production to points of sale along the entire value chain of mushrooms;
- To co-develop innovative business models based on container mushroom farm for informed decision making by mushroom growers/entrepreneurs.
MUSHNOMICS will take an innovative approach to produce mushrooms in standard shipping containers used for transporting goods. In line with the circular bioeconomy priorities, spent coffee grounds, collected from coffee joints and cafes, will be used as substrate for oyster mushroom production. The prototype farm will consist of three shipping containers of which two shipping containers is retrofit with necessary hardware and Internet of Things (IoT) devices to produce mushrooms inside the containers, and third one to produce pasteurised substrate in controlled conditions.
It takes a full-chain systems-based approach, from producer to consumer and beyond (valorisation). Consequently, MUSHNOMICS mobilizes a balanced and meaningful research-practice partnership (50-50 research-business split), including research-intensive academics with strong industry involvement from Denmark, Hungary, Ireland and Romania. MUSHNOMICS recognizes the pivotal role of the consumer in 'driving' the market for food. Therefore, it will perform a multiperspective analysis of the mushroom value chain with the active participation of key stakeholders from the beginning in the project. From the industry perspective, it will carry out mushroom production trials and optimize yields under real commercial settings by the synergistic use of “key” smart sensor solutions, Internet of Things (IoT) and artificial intelligence algorithms (AI). MUSHNOMICS will also evaluate ways for the further use of the by-product generated during the proposed activities i.e. spent cultivation mushroom substrate (SMS) in line with the zero-waste strategy. Technology will be applied for gathering data from vast networks in real-time using the MUSHNOMICS Module transmit these data to MUSHNOMICS Cloud, develop large data banks, undertake data analytics to deliver mined and collated data to the relevant stakeholders in real-time. This will be enabled through the MUSHNOMICS Digital Platform, a portal to the global community. MUSHNOMICS will lead to advancements in the application of digital technologies to harness data for improving the performance of the mushroom value chain towards achieving sustainable and resilient agri-food systems. The MUSHNOMICS project will deliver practical, commercially viable digital technology solutions for value chain process control from production to end of life while including a variety of actors along the entire chain. The MUSHNOMICS practical solutions will lead to the development of new paradigm in the mushroom value chain, which will be demonstrated at TRL7 for post-project exploitation by the SME partners.
Funding programme: UEFISCDI (ERA-NET COFUND ICT-AGRI-FOOD)
36 months (01/03/2021 - 28/02/2024)
- Total budget: 982k€
- Holisun budget: 309k€
Steps and reports:
- Documentation on the current state of technology 01/03/2021 - 31/12/2021
- Modeling the architecture of the analysis platform 01/01/2022 - 31/12/2022
- Development of the platform and algorithms for data analysis 01/01/2023 - 31/12/2023
- Stage results
- Dissemination activities
- Validation of the IoT analysis platform 01/01/2024 - 29/02/2024
- Scientific and technical report
- Final report